Re: Jewish music performance series

In a message dated 9/26/99 10:09:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com writes:

<< Am I correct that your personal conclusions on the matter of Kol
 Ishah, at least insofar as secular performance is concerned, is
 identical with Wolf's?

All good questions. After consulting with various Halachic authorities, from
the Orthodox camp, it seems that there are a number of issues to consider.
For instance, there are responsa that deal with the issue of mixed voice
groups in a favorable fashion.
Additionally, it seems that one can follow the original intent of the laws of
Kol Isha, which would not include women's voices outside of very specific
situations.
Wolf's positions, which are sincerely held, are based on his sense of
personal ethics. That is not a bad thing, per se, but my position is that the
decision needs to be placed in a Halachic context, whichever position one
adopts.

Jordan