Re: Jewish music performance series

In a message dated 9/23/99 10:45:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Halsherm3 (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<<  found this statement to be so completely offensive. Substitute the word
 jewish for the word female and read it again. How do you feel?

 The reaction I had to this was purely from my gut. I realize that it wasn't
 meant to
 be offensive but it was all the same (IMHO).

 How do others feel?  Lynn

I find all these posts condemning the Kol Isha problem out of hand to be
offensive in the extreme. To dismiss in a wholesale fashion a legitamately
derived position of Jewish Law because it doesn't match your personal
viewpoints is intellectually dishonest. Halacha is a complex process, which
deserves respect, even if one chooses not to observe it. Judaism was not
invented in the last 200 years, and the halachic process, which for some
leads to some rather stringent rules, has been an essential part of Jewish
Life from the beginning.  To treat it with such contempt borders on anti
semitism.  The kind of posts I have read from this list on the subject are
typical products of late 20th century thinking: An unfettered sense of
entitlement and self righteousness.
Everyone is free to observe or not observe Jewish Law. But for those of us
who choose to observe, nothing is more precious. I do not condemn those who
do not, it is not my place to. But I do urge them to show respect at least
for those that do, and also, to perhaps become better informed about it, so
as to know that which you reject.

Jordan