Re: Jewish music performance series

----- Original Message -----
From: <Halsherm3 (at) aol(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: Jewish music performance series

> In a message dated 9/23/99 2:53:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU
> writes:
>
> << The one major drawback--and I believe it's a big one--is that I cannot
at
>  this time invite solo women singers. Women instrumentalists are okay, but
>  in the Orthodox tradition, women vocalists are not. I'm not sure about
>  mixed choirs. These are not my personal beliefs, so I apologize to all
the
>  female singers for this lack of opportunity. There's simply nothing I can
>  do about it. >>
>

> I found this statement to be so completely offensive. Substitute the word
> jewish for the word female and read it again. How do you feel?

I see it as a remnant of the past that will change in time.  In America,
most affiliated Jews are in Conservative and Reform congregations that
accept women in all roles, including rabbis and cantors.  It is natural that
the Orthodox will change more slowly, but it will happen.  Meanwhile,
patience is called for and gentle persuasion.

One response is to see it as an admission that some men aren't able to
control their emotions.  I feel sorry for them.