Re: Jewish music performance series

In a message dated 9/24/99 10:39:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, media (at)
kamea(dot)com
writes:

<<
 Well and good, but leaving it at that is no solution and does nothing
 for those who are routinely and uncomfortably subjected to these rules.
 The self-loathing and  loss of self-esteem experienced by girls in these
 communities must be monumental.  Not to mention the acquired collective
 neuroses  of the menfolk.  You have only to ponder the subtext beneath it
all.
  As the man said to Pee-Wee Herman:"Whatsa matter; you don't have a VCR at
 home?"

 No disrespect intended to anyone;
 Moslems, orthodox Jews, Pee Wee Herman,
 -- their employees, families and fans included.

Disrespect accomplished.
This is supposed to be a list discussing Jewish Music.
Wolf, your posts reflect a lack of understanding of Halacha. Thats no big
deal, many people aren't familiar with Halacha.
But what I find unforgivable is your clever way of lumping together (even as
you deny it) all those who hold ideas unfamiliar to you. There are many
nuances within the Observant community, based not on current fashions, but on
the painstaking process of textual study.
I am an observant Jew. I perform with women, I listen to women singers, I
watch women performers. I feel that my choice is legitimate WITHIN Halacha.
Those who don't are missing out, and while I agree sexists exist everywhere,
most don't because of carefully arrived at positions based on differing
interpretations of text.
No more, no less.
Incidentally, I think Oriana Fallaci is a pretty big jerk. I don't like the
Ayatollah any more than you do, but really, what did she think she was doing?
That's Journalism?

Jordan