RE: Jewish music performance series/take1

>B.t.w., wasn't
>the Rabbi who converted him capable of recognizing insincerity?

No, things like this aren't necessarily a matter of insincerity.  When you
first fall in love with someone, you may think that you would be willing to
give up your world and lifestyle for them and you sign up for an Orthodox
conversion.  But relationships change and any of the following may happen:
love cools down and you aren't as eager to make such sacrifices for your
spouse; couples don't get along and you hate having to go to shul so
regularly; the lifestyle becomes too unbearable; one's relationship with
one's own parents improves and one may feel more positive about one's own
previous religion or religious style; one may feel good about Orthodoxy,
but hate the Orthodox people one has to deal with; you discover that your
partner now no longer wants to remain Orthodox and used you as a way out of
it; your job has forced you to re-locate and you now have to live among
non-Jews where that life-style is too difficult; Orthodoxy or Judaism or
Jews are not what you thought they were going to be; or you simply changed
your mind/feelings for whatever reason.  None of this necessarily means
that the person was insincere at the outset or even at the end of the
conversion year or year and a half.  The natural process is for things to
change and then the question is how will one feel about continuing with the
Orthodox lifestyle.   Living an Orthodox life is very difficult and raising
children to be Orthodox in modern times is very trying.  The fact is that
conversions that are based on love aren't as stable as conversions of
people who changed because they discovered enough things in Orthodoxy that
they really want for the rest of their life. There are serious problems
thereafter if children are involved and there almost always are children
involved with Orthodox couples.  We are seeing this in the headlines with
the divorcing billionaire Ronald Perlman and Patricia Duffy who underwent
Orthodox convertion and signed papers committing herself to raising her
daughter in an Orthodox lifestyle if the couple separated, but after 3-4
years of marriage is now back to doing Easter Egg hunts with her small
daughter.  Perlman, who isn't the frumest of Jews, has gone ballistic about
this and it's all very ugly and crazy.  I know of cases where a non-Jew was
asked to convert upon marriage and became much more observant than the
Jewish partner, even Haredi, and that caused terrific problems in the
marriage.  Some people convert because they are unhappy with themselves and
seek to make as many changes as possible, but then don't get the
satisfaction out of the conversion that they thought they would get and the
Jewish partner is stuck with a very unhappy, troubled person.   Some people
know that they will be truly accepted as Jews if they go through an
Orthodox conversion, but will become secular Jews as soon as the Orthodox
conversion is granted (I know several cases like that including an
excellent Jewish ethnomusicologist).  If someone is already moving towards
Orthodoxy and on the way meets an orthodox partner that they want to marry
and then makes the full conversion, then that conversion is more stable
than someone who has been told that a marriage can take place only if a
conversion happens first.  If people see that a convert has lived for some
years as an Orthodox Jew and then still wants to marry an Orthodox partner,
then they have to accept that person as Jew.  If they don't, their rabbi
will explain to them why they have to and why Orthodoxy demands it.  And
then it becomes just a matter of some time passing.  In Judaism, what you
do is what defines your belief and not what you believe (that's
Christianity).   Since Orthodox behavior is so cut and dry when it comes to
its defining features, it makes defining and manifesting one's religious
beliefs much easier to other Jews than the sects that have liberal demands
on observance levels and these are the things that count in Orthodoxy.   If
your in-laws go to synagogue only on high holidays, then your conversion to
that liberal kind of Judaism doesn't give a convert enough opportunities to
demonstrate how much a change has taken place in the person and so the
whole thing becomes a bit tenuous for born Jews to be able to judge.
  Orthodox parents want to make sure that there won't be any changing of
minds after the first few years of passionate relationships and that their
grandchildren will grow undisturbed within Orthodoxy.   But once they are
assured of this, they have to accept their in-law as a Jew.

OK, enough of this.  I have to go back to my own mailing lists before I go
to my Conservative shul.

Gut shabes,

Reyzl
A former Orthodox