Re: Jewish music performance series/take1

----- Original Message -----
From: Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 10:49 AM
Subject: RE: Jewish music performance series/take1

> The fact is that if someone goes through a halakhic conversion, the
> Orthodox are the ones who accept converts as legitimate Jews.  It's the
> Conservative, Reform and generally untrained traditionalist who still hold
> converts as not quite legitimate Jews.

That is absolutely false, in my experience.  Surely, you can find individual
Jews who are skeptical of  converts, but please don't generalize.

I know of a person who was born to a non-Jewish mother and raised as a
Reform Jew.  He fell in love with an Orthodox woman whose family didn't
recognize him as a Jew.  He went through the Orthodox conversion, but the
woman's family still wouldn't permit the marriage.