Re: Jewish music performance series/take1

----- Original Message -----
From: Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 6:22 PM
Subject: RE: Jewish music performance series/take1

> I don't know what you call Orthodox or how really Orthodox this family
was,
> but if they are really Orthodox, they would have to accept him.  Converts
> are expected to prove that they really meant it and actually abide by all
> the stringent rules to be accepted.  They don't accept converting for the
> sake of love so readily as they would if they felt the person converts
> because they believe and accept torah on its own terms - a very demanding
> kind of life.   If he would clearly live as an Orthodox Jew for some
years,
> I am sure that they would have accepted him.   You know that not everyone
> who gets an Orthodox conversion stays Orthodox, and the parents must have
> known that.  It's a lifestyle that is sometimes too hard to maintain,
> especially if one was raised Reform.
>
> Of course, there are exceptions to everything too

You seem to have missed my point.  I was replying to a post which stated
that Orthodox
Jews always accept Orthodox conversions, by pointing to an exception that I
knew of.  I guess you are (perhaps inadvertantly) supporting my message by
giving hypothetical reasons for not accepting the convert.  B.t.w., wasn't
the Rabbi who converted him capable of recognizing insincerity?