RE: Recording Artisi Isa Kremer.

Joel,

>" Possessed of a voice of no more than ordinary range and volume"

Where did this come from?

Yes, it's indeed true that "she brought much vividness, realism, and
charm to her interpretations", but her extraordinary operatic and
concert career belies such a statement.   It might not have been an
extraordinary voice when _compared_ to _the great opera stars of her
days_ and her range may not have been as extensive as theirs, but I
don't believe that anyone can describe it as "possessed of a voice
of no more than ordinary range and volume".  There are many great
Italian tenors about whom the very same thing can be said (Schipa
is a perfect example of this), but interpretive skills are not
minor gifts in an artist.   They are often the very element that
determine the greatness of an artist.  All opera experts have
written the same things and all great opera stars have said the
same things, including Luciano Pavarotti.   Because my husband
has made 3 films for and with the Metropolitan Opera and its
singular world-class experts who became my husband's very close
friends, I have hung around and listened in on enough of their
conversations to know this.   (I once spent 12 hours in the Met's
broadcast room during and before the live telecast of Its 100th
anniversary show which had all the greatest opera stars appear in
person or on film and I got a whole instant opera education from
the behind-the-scenes experts followed by a Met staff party with
all the great stars.  What a treat all of that was.  The education
I got from the comments by the behind-the-scene staff was even better
than sitting in 4th row of the orchestra for the first half of
the 8-hour show.)  Many opera experts have said that a great voice
by itself rarely achieves great success.   The term I have often
heard them use to describe this is by saying 'this person has a
small voice', but 'ordinary' is certainly not it.  Even without
Kremer's interpretive skills, no one who knows her music would ever
call it "of no more than ordinary range and volume".   E.g., her
voice is not just vivid, it has an electric current going through it.

I don't think that you will find any Yiddish song experts disagree
with my statement that Isa Kremer was and remains to this very
day _THE_ very, very best Yiddish singer.   I know that my husband
Josh thinks so too and his expert opinion on such matters is not
a minor one.

Sorry guys, but I had to come and defend our beloved Isa here.

Reyzl