Re: Recording Artisi Isa Kremer.

Hi, Judy.

Thanks for reminding me of the excellent "Stars of David" CD ROM. Its
(text) entry on Kremer reads like so:

Kremer, Isa
1885-1956 Soprano Russia
Isa Kremer was born in Betzi, Bessarabia in 1885, but at the age of 17 she
left for Italy, where she studied voice in Milan. Four years later, while
still in Italy, she made her debut as Mimi in La Boheme. She then sang in
Odessa and among her roles were Tatiana in Eugene Onegin and the title role
in Madama Butterfly. In 1916, at the height of her success, she abandoned
opera for the concert field. Her concert debut in Moscow made her
celebrated all over Russia. She left Russia in 1919, sang in many European
capitals, and came to America in 1922, where she long enjoyed a successful
career, being billed as the "International Ballad Singer". Her final
concert in the U.S. was at Carnegie Hall on 3 December 1950. In 1940 she
married an Argentinian psychiatrist, Dr. Giorgio Bermann, and spent most of
her last years in Buenos Aires, where she died in 1956. Possessed of a
voice of no more than ordinary range and volume, she brought much
vividness, realism, and charm to her interpretations, and was known for her
ability to sing in many languages as if a native. One need only listen to
her Marechiare to realize what an artist she was.

Best,

Joel

At 11:25 AM 9/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Joel:
>I have two articles, a performance review and an interview in my office
>files (from 1924, Canadian Jewish Chronicle) on Isa Kremer and there are
>some ref books beyond Baker's here which you are welcome to look at which
>have some biographical info. Let me know if you plan to come by the
>library. Didn't someone recently release a CDROM on the Jewish opera stars
>that has this information? Judy.
>At 03:06 PM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Dear Friends:
> >
> >If anyone can provide details on Jewish recording artist Isa Kremer
> >(1887-1956), particularly her 2-year stint (ca. 1918-1920) in
> >Constantinople where she recorded for Orfeon, can you please let me know?
> >I'm familiar with entries in Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians
> >and also an article ("Remembering Isa Kremer") written by Lois Barr. Thanks!
> >
> >Joel

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com