Re: Benny Bell

Reyzl:

I have just two Benny Bell 78s (c.1946); on the Bell label (NYC).
They are Yiddish and Yiddish-English;  hard to classify --
blend of traditional and popular styles.
He uses <klezmer> on  later vinyl LP recordings --
which I have not heard yet.

With the little material I have, based on recordings made in 1946,
Bell seems to occupy an interesting place spanning the transitional era
in popular US Yiddish entertainment.  He  trades on everything from the
Lower East Side, baggy-pants, sentimental, ethnic vaudevillians up
through the "dirty comic", Borscht Belt and  All-Rightnik night-club
comedians -- even striving for post-War hipness --  until  he apparently
gives up Yiddish entirely and goes over into all-English material like
his "hit", "Shaving Cream".

I hear  Jimmy Durante, Sid Caesar and  Lenny Bruce, -- a <tumler>.
Of course, being  an <italyener> makes him all the more intriguing a
figure.

Thanks to all who wrote me privately.

Wolf Krakowski