Name that Mode!(Re: Jewish music connection w/ old jingle?)

That's the one!  I was put off at first by the wide interval between the first
and
second degrees, until I played with it for a while.  I think of that C# not as
the
second degree of the mode, but the flatted third.  The second degree, which in
the
Jewish use of this mode would be C natural, is pretty much absent in Greek and
Romanian music, from what I can tell.  Greek music also sometimes uses the major
seventh degree as another melodic "stepping stone," though the actual seventh
degree
of the mode is quite clearly the minor seventh.  The connection of the Romanian
mode
to makam Rast is clear, especially as played by Greeks, but the question
remains,
does it have a name in Romanian?

My point in the whole naming question is this:  Since the mode, in a scalar
sense,
remains the same across all the borders, physical and cultural, but in terms of
melodic use, is distinctly different in each ethnic group, it seems logical to
use
ech groups terminology when referring to it.  Pretty convoluted sentence, huh?
I can
do worse!  Seriously, though, we'd use "Rasti" when describing the mode to, say,
Vamvakaris' "Bouzouki, Glenti Tou Dounia," "Hashimoto" to describe "Der Shtiler
Bulgar," but what to use for "Hora lui Louie?"

Owen

Owen

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake