Re: Jewish music connection w/ old jingle?

I don't know if this question would be agreed upon by Turkish theorists
(ask Zev Feldman) but the mode you mention below, Paul, could be
construed as a compound AND transposed makam (in Turkish classical makam
theory you can combine tetrachords and pentachords of a makam. The makam
in question would then be Nikriz-Saba, derived as follows: The basic
untransposed pentachord of Nikriz is (translated into western values): G
A Bb C#D. The basic tertrachord of a transposed Saba (which would
usually begin on A but is here transposed to the note Hueseyni, or
*middle high E*) is: E F G Ab. If you combine them, you get: G A Bb C# D
E F G Ab. Start the whole thing on Bb and presto, you have the mode you
mention below. In cantorial terminology, the shtayger (mode) would be Mi
Shebarach, but as a complete mode, would start on G. However, I don't
think there are any modes of east or west Ashkenasi Nussach, nor any
basic (i.e. unmodulated) Turkish makams that begin with an augmented 2nd
interval. Although you can force the definition above, I think the mode
is actually a mutated popular mode of Gypsy instrumental music, whose
origins reach back to the Ottoman infiltration of Vallachia. Makam
terminology, arising out of the court theorists and their high-falutin'
music is not usually that important to popular musicians. A definition
of makam usually has to take in a whole number of factors, including
modulation, tuning, etc and is geared toward the larger suites of the
Classical Fasil, and as such would be analogous to calling a dance by
it's modulation scheme. So you wouldn't say that Turkey in the Straw is
a heptatonic Ionic modal piece with a dodecatonic ambitus in the second
prime motif which suggests movement to the dominant and ends with a
pentatonic cadence, would you? Josh Horowitz