Re: Doinas & taksim

Wow!! What an interesting thread.  Thanks for all the learned information.

On a side note, I remember Leon Schwartz telling that when he started
playing violin professionally in the old country in the early part of this
century, he would sometimes play for Christian weddings.  His father would
tell him, when you have a break, go find a quiet place and daven (pray).
If you don't have a chance to daven, play a doina.

Leon Schwartz also used to tell that after he got to this country, if
someone would ask him if he knew a Mischa Elman, he'd say, no, "but I know
a Mishe Beyrakh."

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band