Re: Name that Mode!(Re: Jewish music connection w/ old jingle?)

So!  Man I hope we're not boring the pants off of everybody else, because this
is great stuff.

Makam Nikriz, then, is the same as the Mi She Berakh mode so familiar to
klezmorin from here to the orbit of Pluto, if not beyond.

I will insist that this mode is called in Greek "Rasti," an apellation which
predates the 1932 Cairo Congress to which you refer.  I find differences in
usage and definition to be rather slippery.  As soon as you cross into Asia,
all frets are lost,
and your temperament becomes most uneven indeed.  The Greek rendition of the
Sabah mode, for instance, takes on a horrifyingly shifty character when the
half-flat second moves up to the next fret.  In Persian or Turkish music, the
mode speaks of the
mysterious, ambiguous moment of dawn.  In Greek music, it seems more properly
suited to questions of drug-addiction, murder, and the loss of one's soul.

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake