Re: Music of exile

The author of the poem is Shalom Shabazi (a famous Yemeni Jewish poet of
17th? century). I understand there are at least 3 Yemenite traditional
pieces of music for the words.  There are also two different dances for
two of the tunes, one by Rivka Sturman (the slow dance) and a fast dance
by Eliyahu Gamliel. A beautiful recording of the slow music was made by
the Karmon Dance Troupe in the 1960's. I understand that Hadassah in the
poem refers to the Land of Israel, and it is a poem of love and longing
for Zion.
Haim Kaufman