Re: Andy Statman (Klezmer Bluegrass Fusion)

No, the instrument I mean is a "long-necked lute" of Persian or
central-asian origin, having a carved out soundbox in the form of a
"figure-eight," a glued on head of fish-skin, and, I believe, three
double courses of strings over a neck bearing tied-on frets set to a
microtonal scale.  I'd have to leave it to one more knowledgeable than
myself in matters of Persian classical music to say how well he played.
I enjoyed it.

Owen

Eliezer Kaplan wrote:

> Statman plays Tar? You're talking about a frame drum, I assume? Was he any
> good at it?
>                         EK
>
> At 11:24 PM 1/14/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >Andy has been a busy boy, all right.  The first time I saw him live, he
> >was playing a tiny baglama in a rembetika-revival group called
> >"Palioparea."  Another time, he performed Persian music on the tar at the
> >Alternative Museum (meaning the instrument; they weren't redoing the
> >floor).  Who knows what other musical ventures have escaped the recording
> >stylus?
> >
> >Owen
> >
> >robert wiener wrote:
> >
> >> The first I ever heard of Andy Statman was in a Stereo Review review
> >> (now deep in my files) of his first LP Flatbush Waltz (appeared in
> >> 1981) of bluegrass mandolin.  In fact, I believe that sending him a
> >> photo-copy of the review (complete with a picture of Andy and
> >> mandolin) must have helped persuade him to play at our wedding.
> >>
> >> Here's a list of recorded non-klezmer (all?) Andy Statman appearances
> >> (from All-Music Guide):
> >> 1972 Bromberg, David Demon in Disguise  Mandolin, Saxophone
> >> 1973 Sahm, Doug Doug Sahm & the Band  Mandolin
> >> 1973 Country Cooking Barrel of Fun  Mandolin
> >> 1973 Okeefe, Danny Breezy Stories  Mandolin
> >> 1974 Bromberg, David Wanted Dead or Alive  Mandolin, Saxophone  1976
> >> Breakfast Special Breakfast Special  Mandolin, Saxophone, Vocals
> >> 1977 Clements, Vassar Bluegrass Sessions  Mandolin
> >> 1981 Rowan, Chris and Lorin Peter Rowan & the Wild Stallions
> >> Mandolin, Saxophone
> >> 1981 Rowan, Peter Walls of Time  Mandolin
> >> 1983 Greene, Richard Somebody's Ganna Love You  Mandolin
> >> 1983 Barenberg, Russ Behind the Melodies
> >> 1983 Trischka, Tony Robot Plane Flies over Arkansas  Mandolin
> >> 1984 Rowan, Peter Red Hot Pickers  Mandolin
> >> 1985 New Acoustic Music New Acoustic Music  Mandolin
> >> 1987 Barenberg, Russ Halloween Rehearsal  Mandolin
> >> 1988 Trischka, Tony Dust on the Needle  Mandolin
> >> 1988 Rounder Banjo Rounder Banjo  Mandolin
> >> 1988 Rounder Bluegrass, Vol. Rounder Bluegrass, Vol. 2  Mandolin
> >> 1993 Acoustic Disc - 100% Ha Acoustic Disc - 100% Handmade Music
> >> Clarinet, Mandolin, Arranger, Producer
> >> 1994 Wretched Refuse String Wretched Refuse String Band  Mandolin
> >> 1995 Sahm, Doug Best of Doug's Sahm's Atlantic Sess  Mandolin
> >> 1996 American Fogies, Vol. 1 American Fogies, Vol. 1  Mandolin
> >> 1996 Rounder Bluegrass Guita Rounder Bluegrass Guitar  Mandolin
> >> 1996 Blue Ribbon Fiddle Blue Ribbon Fiddle  Mandolin
> >> 1997 Kosek, Kenny Angelwood  Mandolin
> >> 1997 Sholle, Jon Out of the Frying Pan  Mandolin
> >> 1997 100% Handmade Music, Vo 100% Handmade Music, Vol. 3  Mandolin
> >> 1998 Bromberg, David Player: Retrospective  Saxophone
> >>   Amram, David Subway Night  Mandolin
> >>   Conway, Jeff Jeff Conway  Saxophone
> >>   Country Cooking Country Cooking: 26 Instrumentals  Mandolin,
> >> Saxophone
> >>   Rounder Fiddle Rounder Fiddle  Mandolin
> [...]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->