[Fwd: Re: Jews performing Christian holiday music]

> >I was hoping that we could avoid this extension to our discussion.
> >There is always a political dimension to our acts. This list is
> >not a good place for such a political discussion, and is, in
> >particular, not a place to argue one moral high ground versus, or
> >even, in conjunction with, another.
> >
> >There are certainly aspects to Jews performing Christian music,
> >or vice versa, that we certainly can discuss here, both practical
> >and otherwise. I'd say that a good way to figure out which is which
> >is to hold your finger up to the wind and check the "righteousness
> >factor." If the posting feels like something that can be reasonably
> >discussed, you're on the right track.
> >
> >If the posting sounds to you more like a statement, or if you
> >can't imagine a reasonable disagreement, or if you find yourself
> >feeling righteous for making it, I would appreciate it if you took
> >such comments to a more appropriate forum.
> >
> >ari

Sounds like an attempt to censor or stifle, but be that as it may--

Okay, its a statement.  (Is that so wrong)?  In response to other
statements; so?
A reasonable disagreement?  I'm all ears.

It is not appropriate for a Jew to hang out in churches, period.

Would you, Ari, give us your take on the appropriateness (or not) of a
Jewish person hiring themselves out to sing religious Christian music in
a church, being a Jewish culture expert ?

I do not feel especially "righteous" for stating what I feel, so I would
ask
those Jews who have or continue to sing  Christian religious music in
churches:  How does it feel to sing a lyric such as
"Christ, our Saviour is bo-orn..." or similar words?

I am not saying that Christian religious or holiday music has no merit.
I am not saying a Jewish person should never voluntarily listen to it.
I am not saying that a Jewish person cannot admire or even be inspired
by it.
(I am very fond of much gospel-blues and both black and white gospel.
(The Rev. Gary Davis, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Sam Cooke and others).

As a conscious Jewish person, however, I would just never get on a stage
to praise Jesus.  Not even in the shower.

I hope my point is clear.

Wolf

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->