Re: Klezmer music

There's a few out there... but the one I like the best is available from
Sherry Mayrent (unfortunately not available in stores).  She can be reached
at 617-738-5680  (klez kamp fakebook + tape).  Henry Sapoznik's book + tape
is good for an introduction to the music as well.  Here's a list (hope
you're not sorry you asked):

Bibliography / Discography

The following list is by no means exhaustive, but represents some of my
favorite sources for exploring the klezmer music repertoire.

Tune Books

Note: Be sure when buying books that they're written for C-instruments,
rather than Bb (clarinet).

Bjorling, Kurt, "Jewish Doinas," 1993.  Companion tape available.  The
ultimate source for those interested in exploring doinas.  Bjorling is the
clarinetist for Brave Old World.

Kushner, Sy, "The Klezmer Music Fake Book, Volumes I & II," Kush
Publications, 1995 (Vol. I) and 1996 (Vol. II).  Companion CD's included.
Fastidiously faithful transcriptions of a nice selection of klezmer tunes.
The CD's feature classic performances by Tarras, Brandwein and others.

Mayrent, Sherry, "Slow Jam Rep Book, 1996."  Companion tape available.
Mayrent, the clarinetist with Boston's Wholesale Klezmer Band has put
together some nice, easy transcriptions of some popular melodies for
KlezKamp

Phillips, Stacy, "Klezmer Collection for C Instruments," Mel Bay
Publications, Inc., 1996.  A large collection of tunes from a variety of
sources by fiddler/dobro guitarist Phillips.  Includes fascinating
interviews with Andy Statman and musicologist/tsimblist Walter "Zev"
Feldman.

Sapoznik, Henry, "The Compleat Klezmer," Tara Publications, 1987.
Companion tape available.  A great place to start your learning.  Includes
a wonderful, concise history of the music as well as a technical
introduction by Pete Sokolow.  Sapoznik, incidentally, has been influential
in the old-time music scene for the development of the melodic claw-hammer
style, as well as the klezmer scene as tenor banjoist for the group
Kapelye.  He is also the founder of the Yiddish Folk Arts Program
("KlezKamp").

Recorded Materials/Artists

Brave Old World, "Klezmer Music" (Flying Fish, FF 70560) and "Beyond the
Pale" (Rounder, C 3135).  Brave Old World has a knack for creating a
vibrant sound with traditional reverence.

Budowitz, "Mother Tongue:  Music of the 19th Century Klezmorim" (Koch
International, 3-1261-2).  A must-have recreation of the 19th-century
European sound featuring tsimblist Joshua Horowitz.  The only thing that
rivals the musicianship is the research and extensive liner notes.

Brandwein, Naftule, "King of the Klezmer Clarinet" (Rounder, CD 1127).
Brandwein in all of his raw glory.  This is a must-have.  Great
performances & liner notes.

Cayuga Klezmer Revival, "Klezmology" (Corncake Productions, CCD-662-27).
Great fiddling by Susan Stolovy and tenor banjo by Dan Muscat.

Di Naye Kapelye, "Di Naye Kapelye."  Fiddler/musicologist Bob Cohen leads
this Budapest-based band that recreates the old European village sound.
"Hora and Freylachs from Podoloy" will knock you out of your seat.

Kapelye, "Future and Past" (Flying Fish, FF249), "Levine and His Flying
Machine" (Shanachie 21006), "On the Air" (Shanachie, LC 5762), "Future &
Past" (Flying Fish, FF 70249), and "Chicken" (Shanachie 21007).  One of the
first klezmer revival bands.  Check out Henry Sapoznik's "Banjo Doina"
(played on tenor banjo) on the Chicken album.

Kasbek, "Klezmer a la Russe" (Inedit, W 260066).  A French label, a German
band, Russian balalaikas along with some fine fiddling.  A fun continental
klezmer collection.

The Klezmatics, "Shvaygn=Toyt" (Piranha, CDpir 20-2), "Rhythm & Jews"
(Flying Fish, FF 90591), "Jews with Horns" (Xenophile, 4032), and
"Possessed" (Xenophile, Xeno 4050).  One of the hottest bands in today's
klezmer scene.  Top notch performances and imagination.

The Klezmer Conservatory Band, "Yiddishe Renaissance" (Vanguard VSD 79450),
"Klez" (Vanguard VSD 79449), "A Touch of Klez" (Vanguard VSD 79445), and
"Oy Chanukah" (Rounder 3102).  Under the direction of Hankus Netsky, the
Boston-based KCB recreates the big band sound of American klezmer from the
first half of the twentieth century.

Moskowitz, Joseph, "The Art of the Cymbalom" (Rounder, CD 1126).  A
wonderful collection of some vintage performances by the late, great master
of the cymbalom.

Muzsikas, "Maramaros-- The Lost Jewish Music of Transylvania" (Hannibal,
HNCD 1373).  European Jewish village music as remembered by some of the
finest Hungarian musicians.  Some incredible cymbalom tracks.

Perlman, Itzhak, "In the Fiddler's House" (Angel, 7243 5 55555 2 6), and
"Live in the Fiddler's House" (Angel, 7243 5 56209 2 7).  Some great
performances from the renowned violinist with Brave Old World, the
Klezmatics, the Klezmer Conservatory Band, and Andy Statman.

Rubin, Joel and Joshua Horowitz, "Bessarabian Symphony:  Early Jewish
Instrumental Music" (Spectrum Wergo, SM 1606-2 2281 606-2).  Clarinet with
tsimbl and accordion.  Rubin and Horowitz are musicologists as much as
musicians, and this is a fascinating collection of European-styled duets
with terrific liner notes.

Statman, Andy.  "Andy Statman and Zev Feldman Klezmer Music" (Shanachie
21002), "Andy Statman Klezmer Orchestra" (Shanachie 21004), "Klezmer Suite"
(Shanachie 21005), "Between Heaven and Earth" (Shanachie 64079), "Nashville
Mornings, New York Nights" (Rounder Rou-0174), "Songs of Our Fathers" (with
David Grisman, Acoustic Disc, ACC-14).  A mandolin and clarinet virtuoso.
The Zev Feldman album is an incredible, must-have album of duets with
tsimbl.  Though I'm not crazy about the rest of the album, Nashville
Mornings includes Statman's composition "George and Gladys Kazatski," a
blistering original klezmer tune featuring a melodic-styled banjo solo by
Bela Fleck.  Fleck also performs the tune more slowly on his and Tony
Trishka's "Solo Banjo Works" album (Rounder C 0247).  Another great
Fleck/Statman duet can be found on the Between Heaven and Earth album.

The Sy Kushner Jewish Music Ensemble, "KlezSqueeze!" (Bon Air Recordings).
Kushner, a leading accordionist is accompanied by Alex Fedoriouk, a great
Ukranian-born cymbalom player.

Tarras, Dave, "Yiddish-American Klezmer Music, 1925-1956" (Yazoo, 7001).
Klezmorim can argue on and on about who was greater performer, Tarras or
Brandwein.  This is a nice collection that shows Tarras's great
versatility.  Excellent liner notes.

Warschauer, Jeff, "The Singing Waltz:  Klezmer Guitar & Mandolin" (Omega,
OCD 3027).  An alum of the Klezmer Conservatory Band, Warschauer has
devised some neat approaches to arranging klezmer for classical guitar.

Compilations

"Jewish Violinists," Vol. 1 & 2.  I highly recommend these tapes, available
from Brave Old World's Kurt Bjorling.  Fascinating collection of some early
recordings.  Most tracks are violin/tsimbl duets.

"Kezmer Music:  A Marriage of Heaven & Earth" (Ellipsis Arts, 4090).  A
handsomely packaged collection that displays the great diversity of
approaches to klezmer in the 1990's from traditionalism to avant garde.

"Klezmer Pioneers:  European and American Recordings, 1905-1952" (Rounder
CD 1089).  A nice sampling of vintage recordings with good liner notes.

Other Resources

Ari Davidow's Klezmer Web Site,
http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/index.html.  The source for what's going
on in the klezmer scene.  Reviews, audio samples, news, contacts, links,
etc.

Living Traditions, 430 W. 14th Street, Room 514, New York, NY  10014.
Sponsors the Yiddish Folk Arts Program,"KlezKamp", held annually in the
Catskills.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, New York, NY has a large collection of
vintage recordings, sheet music, pictures, and research materials about
klezmer and Yiddish culture.

----------
> From: Roe2000 (at) aol(dot)com
> To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
> Subject: Klezmer music
> Date: Monday, November 03, 1997 7:42 PM
>
> I am just beginning to become interested in learning to play klezmer
music.
>  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good songbook to buy that has
klezmer
> music I can play on the violin?  Also, if you could suggest a CD to buy
that
> has many of those songs that are listed in the songbook, I'd appreciate
that
> advice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Carolyn