Re: Klezmer music

At 02:24 PM 11/6/97 -0500, Melanie Aron wrote:

>I have emailed, faxed and called Living Traditions several times about Klez
>camp this December and have not yet received a response.

Keep trying.  The brochure for this year hasn't arrived yet.

>Has anyone gone? Is it a good thing for families with kids?

I not only have gone to every Klez Kamp since 1987, but I now have the
privilege of teaching there, and I can tell you that it's a fantastic
experience for families with kids.  The program for kids of all ages is
interesting, varied and full of actual substance, ranging from having the
kids talk to older folks about their lives (junior folklore), to learning
Yiddish, to learning about the music from musicians, plus a lot of more
ordinary activities.  There are opportunities for kids to participate in
music at all levels (an ensemble called the Oom-Chicks for the very young,
a youth orchestra for those who can actually play but aren't quite ready
for a regular ensemble, and for the older, more experienced kids, there are
the regular adult ensembles.  There's also a special calligraphy class for
older kids (10+, I think), and other opportunities of that sort.  Plus all
the regular evening entertainment, lively meal times, and a swimming pool!

I highly recommend it.

Sherry Mayrent
-- Sherry

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->