Klezmer music

>Please send me some info about  this list. I am a big fan of Klezmer and am
>looking always for new recordings etc.
>
>Thanks

Sholem Aleykhem,

This is Yosl Kurland of the Wholesale Klezmer Band responding to your
message posted on Jewish Music.

We have one album out on CD and cassette, entitled "Shmir Me", and are
planning to go into the recording studio in January to record two more.
One will be called "Yidn fun amol," and like our first album will be a
mixture of Yiddish songs and dance music, some of which is from the early
part of the century and some of which we have written ourselves and perform
in the same style.

The other album we are working on is based on the "Concert for Bosnia and
Rwanda" which we developed last year to raise money for the American Jewish
Joint Distribution Committee's relief work in those countries.  By the time
we finish it, it will probably have a title that could apply to any of the
places in the world where peacemaking and reconciliation are needed, and
where we need to stand witness against genocide.  The "Concert" recording
will feature a Yiddish prayer for an end to genocide, "Tfile far Bosnia," a
Yiddish midrash on the story of Isaac and Ishmael which is a plea for the
descendants of Abraham to make peace with each other.  Look for it in the
late spring.

In addition, Sherry Mayrent, our clarinettist and musical director has two
albums out of her own klezmer compositions.  On "Zogn a nign" available on
cassette only, she is accompanied by piano.  On her brand new album
(December 1995), available on both CD and cassette, she is accompanied by
accordion and string bass.

Incidentally, we'll be performing our "peace and reconciliation" material
at the Conference on Judaism in Rural New England which will be held at
Lyndonville State College in northern Vermont during the weekend of June
21-23, 1996, and we are interested in performing it for benefit concerts in
other locations where people are able to organize such an event.

Information and bookings:
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band
        Gan Eydn
        Colrain, MA 01340
        416-624-3204            ganeydn (at) crocker(dot)com (Joe Kurland)

Please check out our web site whish is under construction:

        http://www.crocker.com/~ganeydn

If you don't have a web browser, please write me and I'll try to figure out
how to email you the info. (I'm new on the net, myself, and haven't got
everything down yet.)  If you send me a surface mail address, I'll send you
some info about WKB on paper.  (Remember when people used paper?)

Zayt gezunt,

Joe (Yosl) Kurland

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->