  From: Eric Myrvaagnes
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 10:35 AM
  Subject: Re: Klezical Tradition in Springfield, MA April 19

  I am saddened to report that all of you (with perhaps an exception or two)
missed one of the greatst Klezmer concerts of the season last night: the
Klezical Tradition playing in Springfield, Mass. My wife and my mother and I
all made the trek from Boston to hear them, and they were fantastic! The
audience, alas, was much too small, but very appreciative. Adrianne is surely
the world's greatest living klezmer flutist, and she could even persuade some
of you clarinet freaks that the flute really belongs in klezmer music. She also
plays a mean keyboard (a classical 19th-century Roland?) and, like all the band
members, knows how to support the others. Fraidy is a wonderful Yiddish singer,
Walter is a superb Klezmer clarinetist, Beth did a great job called in at the
very last moment (while their usual fiddler, Cookie, is gallivanting around
eastern Europe), and Roy was very solid. They play very much in the "old"
(early twentieth century) style, even with new "old" pieces, and they play with
enormous energy and spirit: they did have people dancing in the aisles!

  Disclaimer: I am not on the payroll of The Klezical Tradition; I did have one
class with Adrianne at the most recent KlezKamp, which is how I knew they would
be good; and no animals were harmed in the making of this review.

  Eric M.