Re: "well, I suppose it's time for our yearly discussion"

I, for one, have found this thread informative and valuable. Yes, it is
clear that some participants have strong feelings, but I don't feel the
bounds of  reasonable discourse have been violated (yet). For those of us
whose knowledge of halakha and the Talmud is sketchy, this discussion
illuminates some of the complexities involved in situations that may seem
simple on the surface.

In answer to Alex's "Does it (i.e., misquoting a law) serve a tangible
purpose except in helping someone make a dubious point?" I would say, "Yes!
It causes those more knowledgeable to jump in with corrections, helping to
educate the ignorant.

So my thanks to all on all sides of the issue!

Eric (who tries to learn from mistakes, and sometimes does)