Re: lyrics to "Shnirele Perele Gilderne Fon"

I know that this song has is usually sung with great earnestness as a
Messianic Hasidic song by many of us involved in the klezmer revival (including
my
band!), but I've heard from other sources that it was really a Hasidic protest
song about the gluttony and authoritarian tendancies of the religious
establishment.  Does anyone on the list know more about this?

-Hankus