Re: A Yiddish Lesson

There's another way Rabinowitz can be changed to Robinson. According to my
family folklore, an uncle about 1910 or 15 wanted to get a job on the
Pennsylvania RR. At the time, the  didn't hire Jews. They had a family
conference, changed their name to Robinson and that uncle spent his working
life working on the RR. A further wrinkle was that my father as an
insurance agent went on a strike against the Metropolitan Insurance
Company, which then blacklisted him. So as to get a job again in the
insurance field, my father changed his name to Roberson. I then had a
different name from my father. Some people thought (because Roberson
sounded mroe Jewish than Robinson) that I had changed my name so it would
appear less Jewish. The vagaries of being Jewish. Cyril Robinson
At 08:28 AM 11/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Robinson is derived from Rabinowitz a la Ellis Island (or so my father told
>my wife, after feeding me a story about English relatives for about 30
>years).
>
>George (ne Robinson) Robinson
>
>The man who does not read good books
>has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
>    --Mark Twain
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Cyril D. Robinson
520 N. Michaels St.
Carbondale, IL 62901
Tel: 618-549-0028
FAX: 618-453-6733
Archivist: Jewish Music Archives
Radio host: Cyril's Cabaret WDBX 9l.l FM
http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/001artmusic/jewish/jewishmain.html

---