Re: klezmer experience

At 12:23 AM 9/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm no Kalbologist, but I don't think that there really is any "recent"
>material.  I saw him about a year or  2 ago performing at a church in Park
>Slope with a friend of mine. He was *phenomenal*. But I think he's had some
>serious health problems which have probably interfered with his output. Ari?

Kalb has had serious health problems. When I knew him in the late '80s in
California I believed that they were related to side effects from
medications he was taking. But his playing was, to my mind, the epitome of
Jewish blues, a field I always felt that he and Bloomfield possessed
entirely. (Peter Green was Jewish, and is certainly a brilliant blues
guitarist, but his playing has never felt "Jewish" to me. Go figure. When
talking about blues guitar, that's got to be an entirely subjective
statement.) Kalb released a solo album in, I believe, the early '90s, but I
haven't heard it. He's now back in NYC as far as I know.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->