Re: Question from BBC

Maybe we can keep this within the boundaries of music -- although I
agree that by being involved in music we are political beings, and
that it is worthwhile to keep that in mind and to remind ourselves of
it as often as we can...

Maybe the BBC service that contacted Noa was not the news one, but
cultural programming, either TV or radio. Speaking as a radio
professional, I have to say that BBC cultural programming has an
excellent profile, probably one of the best in Europe.

Getting back to Noa's query: I personally do not know of any Jewish
work that dealt specifically with this long lasting aspect of
anti-Semitism. The blood libel tradition is part of the general
anti-Judaic aspects of Christianity since the Middle Ages. Within
Catholocism, such aspects were renounced formally only under John
XXIII's Second Vatican Council.

Catholic musical anti-Judaism has a tradition too. I would suggest
the BBC programmers to look into the repertoire of "Improperia",
religious musical compositions based on texts accusing the Jews of
deicide. It is indeed a very interesting repertoire, which originates
straight from medieval times and finds its way into the Baroque. I am
away from my music collection, but I remember something by Sammartini
related to this. It always amazed me that such inspired music could
be written on texts that express such a refined degree of hatred.

Francesco
(after a year spent in Jerusalem, one block away from the Green Line...)

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval