RE: Questions about Carlebach

Richard Green wrote:

> >4. What are Carlebach's best recordings?
>
> Since I own about 60 of his recordings I can tell you that in the category of
> best live album Shlomo Live in Vienna is my personal live favorite.  It
> features Borchi Nafshi, L'maan Achai Ve'reay, Uv'nei Yerushalayim, Borchenynu
> Avinu and L-rd Get Me High among others.
>
> Best studio album (and I don't believe that it was over produced) is the Days
> Are Coming recording featuring Ki Va Moed, Tov Lihodos, Hinie Yamim, Mi
> Chomocho Baal Gevuors, Asher Bara and Ma Oshiv among others.  The recording
> was reengineered by theCarlebach Foundation and it features less avante gard
> type guitar than Neil Siedel's original recording. I have both versions

I don't usually post "Me, toos", but perhaps a confirming vote would be
informative; as someone who has showcased (on the radio, in lectures and
courses, and now on my CD) and written about Shlomo's music for several
decades, I want to *enthusiastically* second Richard's first advisement re the
R. SHLOMO CARLEBACH live album, which is also *my* favorite!  Shlomo's in
wonderfully mellow voice, plus the sound quality, esp. in re Shlomo vis-a-vis
audience, is about as good as it gets in Shlomo's recordings.

I certainly think DAYS ARE COMING is an excellent, spirits-soaring album as
well--right up there.

--Robert Cohen