From: <music (at) sterlingmp(dot)org>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:10 PM
Subject: RE: Questions about Carlebach

> Richard Green wrote:
>
> > >4. What are Carlebach's best recordings?
> >
> > Since I own about 60 of his recordings I can tell you that in the
category of best live album Shlomo Live in Vienna is my personal live
favorite.  It features Borchi Nafshi, L'maan Achai Ve'reay, Uv'nei
Yerushalayim, Borchenynu Avinu and L-rd Get Me High among others.

> > Best studio album (and I don't believe that it was over produced) is the
Days Are Coming recording featuring Ki Va Moed, Tov Lihodos, Hinie Yamim, Mi
Chomocho Baal Gevuors, Asher Bara and Ma Oshiv among others.  The recording
was reengineered by theCarlebach Foundation and it features less avante gard
type guitar than Neil Siedel's original recording. I have both versions

> I don't usually post "Me, toos", but perhaps a confirming vote would be
informative; as someone who has showcased (on the radio, in lectures and
courses, and now on my CD) and written about Shlomo's music for several
decades, I want to *enthusiastically* second Richard's first advisement re
the R. SHLOMO CARLEBACH live album, which is also *my* favorite!  Shlomo's
in wonderfully mellow voice, plus the sound quality, esp. in re Shlomo
vis-a-vis audience, is about as good as it gets in Shlomo's recordings.