Re: Middle Eastern Roots of Klezmer?

Sorry to indulge in some reflections that aren't well thought out...

There are many theories about where some klezmer tunes (especially in the
freygish/ahava raba/hijaz/middle eastern sounding mode) derived from.  But need
to remember that the repertoire is a moving target depending on preferences of
musicians and listeners of a particular era/place.

So not only should we ask how did the freygish mode come into klezmer, but we
should ask why were tunes in this mode continually selected over time and place
by listeners and players as hitting their kishkes in the right way.  We will
probably find that popularity of these Middle Eastern sounding pieces varied
with these variables of time and place.

I think the typical (sorry to use a generalizing term) North American klezmer
simcha gig repertoire has become more Middle-Eastern sounding because
Ashkenazic Jews have lost much of their Ashkenazic cultural context and now
look for Jewish identity in things that recollect Israel/Middle East.  By this
theory Klezmer pieces in major scales may be deselected (except by the few of
us interested in keeping such things alive).  Rhythms become more middle
eastern as well (at best, at worst they become bad polka beats), and move away
from the European military style drumming of American prior to the 50's.

Pete Rushefsky