Middle Eastern Roots of Klezmer?

Hello, all!

I received this question from a young (16-year-old) klezmer drummer.  I would
be curious as to how you (plural--"you-all") would direct him.

As I understand, he is trying to figure out if he can do a presentation on
klezmer when the topic is Middle Eastern music.  The first thing that comes
to my mind is tying in the Turkish influence, but I would be curious if
anyone else has a better answer.

Lori @ MAX

Ian writes:

       The question I'm asking you is, what general things can I present
about klezmer   music that would be related to the middle east, in other
words, how can I talk   about klezmer music without it being a lesson about
its european roots? There is    also, I believe, the option of modern klezmer
music, or what it has evolved to be,    in Israel and elsewhere today.

       Also, if you have an extra minute, do you have any resources, just off
the top of      your head, that would be helpful for me?

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->