Re: Middle Eastern Roots of Klezmer?

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Pete Rushefsky wrote:

> So not only should we ask how did the freygish mode
> come into klezmer,

and in Jewish music at large...

> but we should ask why were tunes in this mode
> continually selected over time and place by listeners
> and players...

Already the chassidim strongly favoured the "Ahavoh
Rabboh"  stayger (ARS) above all others... and it's
probably no coincidence that "Havah Nagilah," the most
well-know Jewish melody in the world, is in ARS.

> ...as hitting their kishkes in the right way.

The augmented second between the 2nd and the 3rd step
of ARS definitely gives its melodies an exotic,
"mystical" touch, that is cherished by the Jewish
people.

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl