Re: Middle Eastern Roots of Klezmer?

    As on of the drummers and percussionist on the list the answer would be
talk about modern drums come out of the Ottoman Empire.  The best way to do
research on any percussion related topic is start by going through the
archives of the Percussion Arts Society. (www.pas.org) You do have to be a
member to get into the online archives of their publications, but one can get
a free three month online ePAS membership. All of their publications dating
back to the 1963 when the started are online, you may also be able to find a
local library that has the CD of them from 1963 to 1987.
    I typed in Turkish, and came up with a number of good articles talking
about how the modern drumset traces its history back to the Ottoman Empire.
Once you have looked at the articles the PAS also has a very good web board
for asking questions. (You also get to hear wonderful stories like Neil
Grover (he plays with the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra) telling about
being on tour with the Boston Pops and John Williams, when a Bass Db chime
was sent instead of a Bass D, and Neil retuned the chime with a hacksaw and
explained to John Williams that it is ok, I'm Jewish, it is just like a
briss).

    I need to add, that for four years I played in Lori's Junior Klezmer
band, and it was a great experience. For part of that time I studied with one
of the Maxwell Street Klezmer Band's former drummers Steve Hawk, and he was
the one that turned me on the PAS. It is important that as teachers (and we
all teach just by doing) it is important that we give the tools to learn to
our students, because are students might happen to be able to teach us
something.

Matt Temkin