Re: Cohan: not a Jew.

Thank you for this thread. I am delighted with the twists and turns everyone
is taking.

One of my favourite Irving Berlin tunes is SUPPERTIME, written for the Black
actress/Jazz singer Ethel Waters. I believe Berlin was able to dig deep into
another culture's pain because of our own history.
I agree that many of the popular tunes were less then masterful and I am
reminded of how disappointed I am that he or other great American songbook
composers never turned their attention to writing a really fabulous Chanukah
tune for example.
Never the less
this fabulous discussion of Irving Berlin's less then masterful compositions
through Cohen reminds me of one of my favourite jokes.

With your indulgence....
A man walked in to a Rabbi and announced he was prepared to make a sizable
donation of $15,000 to the congregation if the Rabbi could make him a Kohain.

The rabbi answered that he wasn't sure that was possible.

Determined the man said "Allright, alright $25,000. I'll be back in two weeks
with a cheque. I am sure you will find a way."

Two weeks later the man entered the Rabbi's study waving a cheque made out
for $25,000 and asked "well Rabbi, can you make me a Kohain or not?"

The rabbi sighed and agreed "Well, actually I found a very obscure Tract and
I believe I now will be able to do it. But please, you must tell me, why is
it SO important for you to become a Kohain?"

The man answered "My father was a Kohain, My grandfather was a kohain"

Theresa Tova
check out my website
http://www.theresatova.com
<A HREF="http://theresatova.com/";>www.theresatova.com</A>