Re: Cohan: not a Jew.

>In conclusion, I'd say that not every great American Broadway/popular
>songwriter has to be Jewish.

Not every one was--there were Cole Porter and Harry Warren after all.

But you must realize that Cohan was popular during the first decade of the
twentieth century and was a fitting representative of the waves of Irish
immigrants that preceded the Russian and Eastern European Jews (and Italians)
that began trickling into America from ca. 1884. Cohan was preceded by the late
nineteenth-century Harrigan and Hart shows, some of America's earliest "musical
theatre." Of course some of the characters and situations in their shows had to
do with Irish immigrants.

There was a famous story, I believe from the early days of ASCAP, when Cohan
introduced the young, up and coming Irving Berlin as a talented "Jew Boy." One
shouldn't be too surprised at such behavior between two street smart immigrant
groups, but--as I've mentioned previously--one should give people like Berlin
credit for breaking down the ethnic barriers that he did. Purists frequently
complain that people like Berlin and other assimilated Jewish songwriters
should have written more "Jewish" or "ethnic" music. I'm sure if they wanted to
work in the Yiddish Theatre like Sholom Secunda and Abe Ellstein they would
have.

I still maintain that the ground work of these assimilated songwriters made it
possible for people to freely express themselves in a Jewish musical idiom
today--as most of the people do on this list. Times change. But Berlin's
commitment to "Americanizing" Jewish music and Jews did play well with the
general population and made us far more acceptable as Americans.

I suppose if there was one thing Berlin and many of these artists--as well as
the entire movie industry--regretted, was that they could have been more vocal
about helping their European cousins survive the Holocaust. But I'm afraid most
Americans' actions on that account were sadly lacking.

Eliott Kahn