  From: Lee Goldberg
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 9:57 PM
  Subject: How Could Szpilman Stay in Poland?

  Alex Jacobowitz cites a number of facts about antisemitism in Poland that I
have no inclination to dismiss.  But they don't justify the conclusion he
draws, namely, that there is a good "Polish analogy with German savagery".
Yes, the Polish underground Home Army was generally hostile to Jews and many
units killed Jews on the run (what I think Alex means when he says "the
executions of Jews in Poland by Poles during the war"), but the very fact that
there was a mass Polish resistance fighting the Nazis flies in the face of the
notion that the Poles as a people collaborated with the Germans in genocide
(many individual Poles did; organized Polish society as represented by its
government in exile in London and its resistance forces on the ground did not).
  The general run of American Jews have enough trouble keeping straight which
Eastern European nationality is which, and who fought on who's side on World
War II, as it is, without making outrageous comparisons to the Germans, whose
crimes are without parallel.

  My point is that things (and countries) are more complicated than many
American-born Jews seem to think.  If we recognize that France and the French
includes everything from resistance heroes to Vichy scum, then why lump
everything about Poland and the Poles into one reductive pot?

  Lee Goldberg

  Anything´s possible. Wanna look up the facts
  yourself? Jews weren´t considered Poles by the Poles
  - until they were murdered in Auschwitz. How about the
  executions of Jews in Poland by Poles during the war?
  The Kielce pogroms (and others) AFTER the survivors
  returned to Poland in 1946?

  The anti-Jewish political purge and anti-Israel riots
  of 1968, orchestrated by the government?
  The Carmelite nun affair? Radio Maria?
  Have you read Artur Rubinstein´s autobiography, and
  his letter to the New York Times protesting
  the new (at the time) Polish purges? That
  Rubinstein himself was presented in the Polish
  press as a Pole, but never as a Jew?
  The interviews with Poles in Lansky´s "Shoah"?

  Don´t misunderstand - there are some Poles who
  were good and saved Jewish lives - just as there
  were some good Germans, as in Szpilman´s case.
  There are devils and angels everywhere, but in
  this case, the Polish analogy with German
  savagery is more sound than anyone wants
  to hear. The record backs it up. I´m sorry.

  Alex Jacobowitz