The Pianist

After seeing Roman Polanski's "The Pianist" (a powerful and upsetting film) - I
looked up Wladyslaw Szpilman, the late Jewish/Polish composer/pianist who's
autobiographic account of surviving  WWII in Warsaw is the basis of this film .
 He was a prolific classical composer, before and after the war (he stayed in
Poland until his death in 2000) - but also wrote some 500 songs, 150 of which
are considered the "evergreens" of Polish popular music...and 40 children's
songs for which he received awards... Is anyone familiar with his music and
songs?

I couldn't help wondering though - how could he stay in Poland after the entire
Jewish population was wiped out, and the Poles proved themselves to be just as
savage and eager to get rid of the Jews as the Germans... Was he such a musical
celebrity in Poland that being Jewish, in his case, didn't matter?

Shirona
Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
 Visit my website at    www.shirona.com
Listen to my music at www.mp3.com/shirona