Re: Scarborough Fair

Stephen Simpson asked if Scarborough Fair could be related to Adon Olam.

The Adon Olam tune he's thinking of could be the one cited by
ethnomusicologist A L Loyd as being known all over Europe in the Middle Ages.
So Scarborough Fair is another variation? Sounds convincing to me.

In my 'Adon variations' file I have a Child balad called the Holland
Handkerchief, a Canadian song She's Like the Swallow (also collected by
Lloyd), the French ballad Le Roi Renaud (again I've got a Canadian version
here collected by Lloyd), the Child ballad Oh Waly Waly and a Sephardi tune I
lifted from a CD and failed to note the words of. Plus a Tibetan song someone
gave me a recording of.

Lucy Fisher