Re: Scarborough Fair tune

I've heard it claimed that there is no melody to which Adon Olam cannot be
sung.  Surely, that's stretching a point, but there must be theological
implications to that.

Something else has been on my mind that I thought I'd put to the list, since
matters relevant to jobbing musicians are a frequent concern.  I'm usually on
the jobbing side myself, but not this time.  My son's bar mitzvah was last
shabes and there was a bit of a mix-up with the music I engaged.  (I received an
apology and things are more or less patched up.)  This is not the first time
I've seen tussles of this kind (I'll spare you the details, they don't matter),
but the problem seems to be a major cognitive dissonance between those musicians
for whom simchas are the bottom of the food chain of what they do (concerts are
usually at the top) and those who engage them, for whom b'nai mitzvot, weddings,
etc. are singular (one would hope), sacred moments where, G_d willing, all is
perfect.  Needless to say, this is not a strictly Jewish issue, nor even an
exclusively musical one (at least, it can apply to serious photographers, maybe
others), but I wonder what could be done to get everyone on the same page.  Your
thoughts?

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music