Re: Weirdest Yiddish Recordings

Dear Ari:

As Ethan just reminded me  it's : Gefilte Joe and the Fish... I just farmisht the name. I was probably thinking of Country Joe MacDonald and the Fish(Country Joe and the Fish)...who is Jewish by the way.

Same guys,,,BE TRUE TO YOUR SHUL.  I believe the My Baby's Like A Matzoh Ball is on the same album. It was put out by Rhino Records originally, so maybe they now carry it on disc. I don't know if any of these guys are still alive. They were in their 80s and this was about almost 20 years ago. I believe they are out of Miami.

   Trudi the G

>From: Ari Davidow
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Weirdest Yiddish Recordings
>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:25:31 -0400
>

> > Also anything by Country Joe and the Gefilte Fish. A Miami based band over 80
> > year olds who are very good and very funny. My personal fave; My Baby's Like
> > a Matzoh Ball.
>

>Wow! If that Gefilte Joe is better than "Walk on the Kosher Side," I gotta hear
>it.
>
>There were a couple of Rhino compilations back in the LP days that had
>wonderful Jewish shtick that wasn't necessarily Yiddish. Each of the ones I
>heard included Gefilte Joe. One included something called "Be true to your
>shul", etc.
>
>ari
>

>Ari Davidow
>ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
>list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
>the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/

---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->