Re: Weirdest Yiddish Recordings

Although not specificallyYiddish...I'd vote for CHASSIDISCO.  It came out in the mid 1970s and featured a Chassid on the cover striking a Tony Manero pose..like Sat. Night Fever. Great "covers" of Chassidic music and Niguns.

Also anything by Country Joe and the Gefilte Fish. A Miami based band over 80 year olds who are very good and very funny. My personal fave; My Baby's Like a Matzoh Ball.

  Trudi the G

>From: Dick Hauser
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Weirdest Yiddish Recordings
>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:25:21 -0700
>
>Probably not the "weird" you're looking for, but couldn't resist
>saying that I thought of two CD's right away:
>
>"Don Byron plays the music of Mickey Katz"
>Don Byron
>
>and
>
>"Psycho Semitic"
>Hasidic New Wave
>
>Both CD's use some serious musicianship to perform musical
>references to structure and style that are WAY over my head. More
>because of my ignorance than anything else, these two works are the
>sort that make me shake my head and say ........"weird".
>
>Dick Hauser
>Olympia Washington
>
>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
>Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org
>A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online
>MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/
>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->