Re: Weirdest Yiddish Recordings

  ----- Original Message ----- the article won't be about weird
  Jewish songs in general, but about strange Yiddish songs.

Shalom Ethan !

I would suggest to consider the strange "Kaddish" or "A din-toyre mit Got",
words by Rabbi Levi Yitzkhok von Berditshev (1740 -1809).
Afaik, it was not a song but a peculiar speech that the Rebbe delivered to his
court instead of a regular kaddish...
I don't know who put it into music
Git morgn, Riboynoy shel Oylem !
Ikh, Levi Yitzkhok ben Sore mi Berditshev
Bin tsu dir gekum'n mit a din toyre far dayn folk Isroel.
Un voss hostu tsu dayn folk Isroel?
Un voss hostu zikh ongezetst oyf dayn folk Isroel?
Un voss nokh a zakh, iz "zav ess bney Isroel"?
Un voss nokh a zakh, iz "emoyr livney Isroel"?
Un vi nokh a zakh, iz "daber livney Isroel" ?
Tatenyu ! Kamo umoyss b'oylem ?
Bawlayim, Parsayim, Edoymayim.
Di daytshlender, wuss zogn zey? "Inzer kenig iz a kenig".
Di englender, wuss zogn zey?  "Inzer malkuss iz a malkhuss".
Un ikh, Levi Yitzkhok ben Sore mi Berditshev, zog:
"Yisgadal veyiskadash shemey rabo !"
Un ikh, Levi Yitzkhok ben Sore mi Berditshev, zog:
"Loy ozuss mim'keymi !
Kh'vel zikh fun ort nit rir'n !
Un a sof zol doss zayn, un an ek zol doss nem'n !
Yisgadal veyiskadash shemey rabo !"
Good morning to You, Lord of the Universe.
I, Levi-Yitzchok, son of sarah, of Berditchev,
have come to You in a lawsuit
On behalf of Your people Israel.
What have You against your people Israel?
And why do you oppress Your people Israel?
No matter what happens, it is:
"Command the Children of Israel!"
No matter what happens, it is:
"Say to the Children of Israel!"
No matter what happens, it is:
"Speak to the Children of Israel!"
Father dear! how many other peoples are there in the world?--
Babylonians, Persians, and Edomites!..
The Germans, what do they say?
"Our Kind is a King!"
The English -- what do they say?
"Our Sovereign is a Sovereign!"
And I, Levi-Yitzchok, son of Sarah, of Berditchev, say:
"Hallowed and magnified by the name of God!"
And I, Levi-Yitzchok, son of Sarah, of Berditchev, say:
"I will not stir from here!
An end there must be to this -- it must all stop!
Hallowed and magnified be the name of God!"

You can hear it by:
- Emile  KACMANN on "Voices of the Ghetto" WMD 242066
- Nizza THOBI on "Gobojrn in a sajdn hemdl"  David Records LC 2584
- Helmut EISEL's Asoj on "Spirit of Klezmer" Koch CD 34105-2 H1
- Marcel LORAND Trio on "Jiddishe Stikele: Jewish Songs from the Prague Ghetto"
Supraphon LC 0358 SU 3343-2211

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->