  From: Lori Cahan-Simon
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 3:04 AM
  Subject: Re: dance of death

  I don't see any specific connection, but this reminds me of the many "memento
mori" of the middle ages.  Particularly, a gorgeous painting of the Northern
Renaissance period comes to mind: a beautiful bride and groom in a forest
setting.  On the reverse is painted the same scene, but the subjects have been
changed to skeletal figures, and they may be dancing, I cannot recall.  (In the
Cleveland Museum of Art.)
  Lorele

  Moshe Berlin wrote:

    In Mazor's book on "The Klezmer Tradition in the Land of Israel", there is
a reference to T'khiyes-Hameysim Tants, wherefrom it seems that this dance is
not especially related to weddings. In Meron, like in other Jewish festivities,
this dance was performed (by 2 dancers) to a Doina tune. In Mazor's CD
(attached to his book) there is a recording  of  T'khiyes-Hameysim Tants as
performed in Meron (#16). Originally it was a dance by itself, and later on a
Broygez Tants was combined to it at the beginning. The relation "wedding -
death" is worth another discussion.

    Moshe Berlin