Re: dance of death

This is usually done by the mothers as part of the engagement ceremony,
called something like "ta'anim" (?). In orthodox communities the plate
breaking seals the engagement "contract", which it is forbidden to break.
I've heard that for some it is preferable to go through with the wedding,
and then procure a "get" rather than to break the engagement contract
sealed with the plate breaking. That's why the ceremony is performed as
close to the chasene as possible, so as to eliminate the possibility of the
contract not being honored. (Pieces of the broken plate are taken by
parents to be given to their children as a "charm" to help them find their
bashert. I've actually seen it "work" on several occasions, within weeks!)

Allen

At 09:49 AM 7/3/02 -0400, you wrote:
>As long as we're on the evolution of dance and wedding minhag -
>
>Today, at the point where it's time to take the chasen to the kallah,
>the mothers-in-law-to-be come into the men's room and break a dish
>together.
>
>Is this by chance an abbreviated form of the broyges tantz?
>Or does it serve another purpose entirely?
>
>roger reid
>
>--
>r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net

Allen Davis, CEO
SoftwareJobs.com, Inc.
http://www.softwarejobs.com
413-549-7440, Ext. 200
413-549-7441 (Fax)
413-427-2782 (cell)
P.O. Box 2007
Amherst, MA 01004-2007

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL TRANSMITTAL
The information contained in this electronic mail is confidential
information intended solely for the use of the individual named above.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or if you are an employee
or agent responsible for  delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of all or part of
this e-mail other than to its intended recipient, or any copying of this
communication, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
electronic mail in error, you are instructed to immediately forward it back
to the sender and destroy your copy.  Thank You.