Re: Breaking dishes (was: dance of death)

I believe it was Roz Bresnick Perry who told a story of an arranged
marriage--maybe it was her mother's or grandmother's.  After the
t'noyim, the bride complained that she did not like the match and her
father told her that she must go through with the wedding because to
break the t'noyim would dishonor her father as he had made the
contract.  After the wedding, if she didn't like her husband, she
could divorce him then with no dishonor, as the father's contract
would have been fulfilled.  So she went through with the wedding,
grew to love her khosn and remained happily married for the rest of
her life.

By the way, Peggy's mother and my mother broke a plate at our t'noyim
celebration which was held a month before the wedding.  We
autographed the shards and guests took them for keepsakes.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340