RE: yiddish language decline?

On March 21, 2002 9:01 PM, Mel Korn wrote:

> ...who could have known that Wagar High  School was a
> hotbed of Yiddish!...

Ah, yes! My "alma mater".  I attended from 1966 to 1969.  During my time,
the school's population was around 92% Jewish.
The school literally closed down on Jewish holidays.

A hotbed of Yiddish?    The school's newspaper was the "Wagar Watch".  One
issue, the paper's staff decided to change
the name to the "Wagar Zager".   The Principal was not amused.

I don't know if they still do this currently, but up until a few years ago,
the city of Cote St Luc would host a Yiddish (and Klezmer) Culture Festival
during August.  I suspect that this is what eventually evolved into the Klez
Kanada festival.

Ed Sieb