Re: yiddish language decline?

>Unfortunately, neither my parents nor grandparents spoke Yiddish (except
>for
>a few phrases here and there).

My parents, otoh, *did* speak Yiddish--and my mother actually spoke it well,
I'm quite sure--but they spoke it precisely when they *didn't* want me to
understand what they were saying!  I realize this sort of situation is far
from unique, whether in re Yiddish or whatever other language the parents
know and the children don't.

Result, in my case:  I grew up with an aversion to Yiddish (since it was
used to exclude me, as it were).

My sister, otoh, eventually (though I think she began with the same
attitude) took up Yiddish and has been studying it quite diligently for a
while.

--Robert Cohen