Re: yiddish language decline?

Tell that to my neighbours in Stamford Hill, London! They are Hasidim who
speak it as a first language.

I'm just a beginning Yiddish student, but I have heard that 'Yiddish is
dying' often before and wonder if it is a cliche.

However, though it's a living language in this area, you can't learn it at
any local college. And though it's a living language spoken in Britain, you
can't take an exam in it, like you can in Turkish, Urdu, Gujurati, Yoruba and
many other languages that are spoken in London.

Lucy Fisher