Re: yiddish language decline?

As close as it gets - even 10 (11?)years ago there still existed a Jewish
town in Ukraine, called Shargorod, 4000 people, where Yiddish was spoken on
the streets (no subway, but other than that...). Next year it was 1000, soon
it was gone (I might be a little off with dates and numbers, but exact
information is available, I'm sure).
My personal most pleasant experiences included waking up to the sound of a
casual phone conversation in Yiddish (1990, Vilno), not understanding a
word, but basking in divine sounds.
Inna

P.S. For now, Montréal still sounds like a good place to live. What's the
weather there?