Re: "well-tempered"?

Last week, in response that started with an inquiry about "Etz Harimon" (one
of my absolute favorite Israeli folk songs, fwtw), Roger Reid charmingly
signed his post this way:

Roger "My Piano and my Tsimbl are Well Tempered, not Equally Tempered" Reid

I'm puzzled:  The Harvard Dictionary of Music, in its discussion of Bach's
"Well-Tempered Clavier," says "the name refers to the then novel system of
equal temperament."  So what's the difference?--and Roger, what did you mean
by this playful signature?

(What *should* we call these riffs that some folks, esp. George R., insert
in their signatures, btw?)

--Robert "I'm staying as even-tempered as I can" Cohen