Re: Cleveland Workman's Circle Bendix workshop: Fun!

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:40:15 -0700, you wrote:

>What kind of dance did he teach to the Terkisher?  I have a written
>description of one that I'm having trouble understanding.  It has a walking
>section in a syrtos rhythm, and then some sort of rocking movement in and
>out of the circle but I can't quite visualize it from the written
>description.  Did Erik teach anything like this?

it was a pretty simple three step beat...

here's my little notation... works good with monospace font...

drum: BOOM, ba BOOM BOOM

feet: STEP, -- STEP STEP

so each downbeat you're on the opposite foot -- left, right left | right, left
right | etc.

He led us in a snaking walk, and then turned us in to do the step front and
back (basically like the mambo)... i don't remember how we were holding
hands... maybe it was over-the-shoulder, "nigun atik" style for the traveling
segments... maybe not :P

Very smooth, styled walk... very different from the other stuff he was teaching
us! eastern european dance is so flatfooted! clearly this dance has different
roots

Hope that helps!

-yakov.
Visit me offline at